I stumbled onto an interesting book called "5 reasons NOT to Marry the One You Love," by author Marie Hartwell-Walker, Ed. D. She suggested the reason a lot of marriages fail is because they never should have been married in the first place, even though they were in love.
Here, in a nutshell, are the top 5 reasons we marry the wrong person:
1. NEXT STEP. You've been dating a long time and just feel marriage is the next step. But the length of a relationship is not always a good measure of the quality of the relationship.
2. PEER PRESSURE. All your friends are getting married....it's time. Feeling left out of the group might make you take a jump you shouldn't be taking.
3. SETTLING. A lack of self-esteem may make you think you'll never do any better.
4. BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION. You might think you can force the other person to change after you get married. A marriage license is not a license to modify his/her behavior.
5. MONEY. Though having money doesn't hurt, it's not the basis for a solid relationship and won't hold a bad union together.